NYIM seeks students who desire a professional career and are prepared to undertake an intensive educational experience. Enrollment is limited and is based on the following requirements:
A prospective student must: Successfully complete a personal interview with an Admissions Representative.
Submit a complete Application for Admission, along with a $25.00 non-refundable application fee.*
Mail official high school transcripts showing completion of a general or regent's level diploma, or copy of GED directly to NYIM from your high school. (P.O. Box 645, Buffalo, NY 14231). We do not accept IEP diploma. High school transcripts/GED must be on file with NYIM, regardless of higher education.
Submit two letters of recommendation, personal or professional (no relatives please). Letters should include how long they have known the prospective student and why they think the prospective student would be a successful massage therapist.
Submit completed Background Check Release Form (enclosed). This form releases information on any prior criminal convictions. Please submit $15.00 plus tax if Erie County Resident, or $20.00 plus tax if Non- Erie County Resident, (non-refundable) check or money order. If the applicant has not lived in the current county of residence for at least thirty (30) days, an additional background release form and fee must be submitted for a background check in the previous county of residence.
Be of good moral character.
Submit photo ID (driver’s license or government issued photo ID), social security card or proof of citizenship.
Be a minimum age of 17 (must be 18 to sit for New York Board Exam)
Submit completed NYIM Medical Release Form (enclosed). This form must be signed by a physician.
Complete a second interview including pre-admission testing.
All potential students with a GED (General Equivalency Diploma) or that have graduated high school with a cumulative average equal to or greater than a 70 AND:
- SLE score equal to or greater than 21 – considered for the matriculated program.
- SLE score equal to 19 or 20 - considered for matriculated program. Taking Anatomy & Physiology ONLY During their first term. - SLE score equal to 17 or 18 - considered for Anatomy & Physiology ONLY as a Non-matriculated student.
- SLE score equal to or less than 16 - rejected for admission.
All potential students with a high school average of less than 70, but equal to or greater than 65 AND:
- SLE score equal to or greater than 21 – considered for the matriculated Program.
- SLE equal to 18, 19, or 20 – considered for Anatomy & Physiology ONLY as a Non- matriculated student.
- SLE equal to or less than 17 – rejected for admission.
*Potential students may take SLE up to two (2) times.
As a condition for enrollment the student must have an appointment to visit the school for a personal tour and a financial aid interview. Arrangements may be made by calling:
(716) 633-0355 or (1-800) 884-NYIM (6946)
Admissions appointments are available
Monday through Friday.
Completed application packets are subject to approval by the Admissions Committee, which meets regularly. Application packets are considered complete when all of the information is received by NYIM. The prospective student is encouraged to submit their application as soon as possible as classes are known to fill before the start date. After the application package is completed and reviewed by the Admissions Committee, the prospective student will be contacted to discuss the final steps required for enrollment.
Once the prospective student is accepted, a $150 registration fee* is required to guarantee their seat in the program. An enrollment agreement must also be completed at the time of registration.
* All monies paid are to be paid in check, money order, credit card, or certified check form. No cash monies are accepted. Any returned checks for insufficient funds will be charged $35.00.
International Student Enrollment - in addition to the admissions requirements listed above:
A prospective student must submit:
- I-20M-N (Certificate of Eligibility)
- A copy of student visa/government issued photo identification
- Birth Certificate
- A copy or verification of English as a second language exam (i.e. TOEFL)
- All transcripts translated to English for review
« Back to Policies